If your child is not enrolled at a state school

If you decide to home educate in Scotland and your child has not attended a ‘public’ (i.e. council) school on one occasion or more, there is no legal obligation to register with, or otherwise notify, your local authority, although you may reasonably expect enquiries to be made about your educational arrangements if you come to their attention.

All such enquiries can be satisfied in writing, if preferred, and copies of all correspondence (along with notes of any telephone conversations) should be retained for future reference.

Related Topic: Home Education Provision – Details around creating a plan of provision for your child.